I first tried waffle at my nearby cafe and loved it. Then it tried their many time. So I decided to make them at home and ordered a waffle maker. Traditional waffles are made using all purpose flour, which is not very healthy. So I made eggless whole wheat waffles at home. The great thing about making waffles at home is you can control the amount of sugar and oil that goes inside the batter.
I love to make this Vegan Whole Wheat Waffles during the weekend and enjoy it with fresh fruit, maple syrup and freshly brewed coffee. My friends and family also love this Vegan Whole Wheat Waffles very much. I love to make them when I have friends over for brunch. The best part it I have to make the basic waffles and provide few toppings options and everyone can add their favorite topping and can enjoy the waffle.
This waffles are very simple and easy to make. They are vegan and vegetarian. They can also be made gluten free by using gluten free flour. I loved the way they turned out and now I am gonna do many experiments using waffle maker. So many recipes are on the way!
The batter that I have made here is the simple version and it is totally customisable. You can add chocolate chips, chopped strawberry or even blueberries to the waffle.
You can enjoy waffles with jam, fresh fruits, maple syrup, whipped cream or nut and seed butters. I have topped my eggless whole wheat waffles with a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh berries.
Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener or sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Cup almond milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 In a large bowl, add whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and mix together.
- Step 2 Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Step 3 Mix the mixture very lightly, making sure that you do not over-mix the batter.
- Step 4 If the batter is stiff, then you need to add a little more milk. Batter shouldn’t be very thin, it should be nice pouring consistency.
- Step 5 Brush the pre-heated waffle iron with melted coconut oil or you can use non-stick cooking spray as well.
- Step 6 Pour the batter right into the centre of the waffle iron, evenly distributing the batter at the sides.
- Step 7 Cook the waffles until done. You can enjoy waffles with jam, fresh fruits, maple syrup, whipped cream or nut and seed butters.