Oats Pancake/Oats chilla is very easy, quick, delicious and healthy recipe. Great for any time of the day. The base of this recipe is oats and as we all know oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Making this savory veggie oats pancakes/oats chilla does not take more than 30 minutes, so its perfect for week night dinner as well.
To prepare this Savory oats pancakes, we need semolina, oats flour and chickpea flour. All these flours are easily available in the market. You can make oats flour even at home by grinding the rolled oats or quick oats and thats what I have done today for making this savory oats pancakes. I always have rolled oats at home since I love to eat oatmeal for breakfast. All the flours that we are using in the savory oats pancakes are very healthy and high in complex carb and has some protein content as well.
This savory oats pancakes are great way to feed the kids all the veggies. For veggies in the pancakes, I have used carrot, bell pepper and onion. I used these veggies since I love this combination, but feel free to add any more veggies of your choice. Other veggie mixing options are grated zucchini, finely chopped cabbage or even cauliflower. If you want you can even add cheese in this pancakes and it will taste very delicious. In this recipe, we are roasting the semolina and the oats flour because roasting adds more depth of flavor.
This savory oats pancake is perfect for people following vegan diet. You can make pancakes by just using oats, but I have also added little portion of semolina and chickpea flour for flavor. Plus shredded vegetables adds good crunch and taste to the pancakes. If you are following vegan diet, make sure to use vegan yogurt and luckily with increasing veganism, we have many brands available in market which makes vegan yogurt.
Savoury Oats Pancake Recipe
- ½ Cup oats
- ½ Cup semolina
- ¼ Cup chickpea or garbanzo bean flour
- ½ Teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon ghee or oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ Teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ Teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ Cup curd or yogurt
- ½ Teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Cup grated carrot
- ½ Medium chopped onion
- ½ Medium chopped bell Pepper
- 3-4 Garlic cloves grated
- Chopped cilantro
- Crushed Black pepper to taste
- Step 1 Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Let it pop for 20 seconds.
- Step 2 Add semolina and roast for 5 minutes on slow flame. Blend the oats and make oats flour.
- Step 3 Now add powdered oats and roast it for 3-4 more minutes on slow flame.
- Step 4 Remove the mixture in a bowl. Add chickpea flour along with all the spices and veggies.
- Step 5 Add yogurt and about half a cup of water to make batter. Adjust the quantity of water based on requirement.
- Step 6 Batter should be little thick, spreadable consistency.
- Step 7 On a pan, brush some oil, take about half a cup of batter and spread it.
- Step 8 Cook this on a low-medium flame till the lower side turns golden brown. Then flip the pancakes and cook on the other side.