Red Lentil soup is comforting, simple, and easy to make. It’s my all time favourite meal when I want something hearty but healthy. Minimal cooking is required to prepare this healthy red lentil soup. Red lentils are great plant-based source of protein and fiber. This soup is perfect for winter as it is warm and cozy.
Red lentil soup is perfect for weeknights, or whenever you want a quick meal on the table. Red lentils are high in protein, complex carb and fiber. This soup is quick to make since red lentil cook very fast and no soaking required as well.
Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Medium carrot, diced
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Cup red lentils
- 3 Cups water or low-sodium broth
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon chills powder or paprika
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, and pinch of salt, stir to combine, then cover and let the vegetables sweat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add tomatoes, pepper, turmeric, chilli powder, stir and cook until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Wash lentils 2-3 times under running water. Add the lentils, water or broth. Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and add salt to taste. Pour into bowls and serve with chopped avocado and cilantro.