This Potato Sandwich is my childhood favorite. It is one of my favorite sandwich to make. Potato Sandwich is quick, simple and easy to make and it requires minimum ingredients. This Potato Sandwich recipe is vegan, vegetarian and also gluten free (if you use gluten-free bread). This potato sandwich is perfect for any time of the day. I love to enjoy it for breakfast, lunch and even dinner. Potato sandwich goes really well with green chutney, tomato ketchup or even Indian chai or coffee.
For the stuffing of this potato sandwich, I have used boiled potatoes along with chopped bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger. All these veggies are very healthy for us. This stuffing for the potato sandwich is also very customizable. You can add many other veggies along with potatoes like grated carrot, finely chopped cabbage or even grated tofu or Indian paneer. Adding cheese in the stuffing is also a very good option and it taste very delicious.
Potato Sandwich is an easy breakfast or snack recipe made with boiled potatoes along with other veggies and spices. This sandwich is delicious and very filling, all time family favorite dish. You can enjoy potato sandwich when its hot or you can even cool it slightly and pack it for lunch box as well. I toasted this sandwich on the skillet over the stove. But you can use sandwich maker, griller or even panini maker.
For this Potato Sandwich, I have used whole wheat bread since it has more nutrients compare to regular white bread. But feel free to use bread of your choice. If you are gluten intolerant, go for gluten free bread. The great thing about this potato sandwich is that you can make it open faced or even closed one. If you have a party at home, then you can make open faced sandwich, cut it into strips and service it. It will be a great party snack. You can find my other sandwich recipes here – Sandwich recipes.
- Whole wheat bread
- 2 Medium boiled potatoes
- ½ Cup onion chopped
- ½ Cup bell pepper chopped
- Couple of garlic cloves
- Small piece of ginger
- 2 Teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika (Add more if you like spicy)
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garam masala (optional)
- ¼ Teaspoon Black pepper
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- 2 Teaspoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Step 1 Heat oil in a pan, Add chopped onion, bell pepper, grated garlic and ginger.
- Step 2 Cook it for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and all the spices. Mix well.
- Step 3 Now add mashed potatoes and mix nicely and cook the mixture on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 4 Add fresh chopped cilantro. And turn off the flame. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Step 5 For stove top option, heat a skillet and apply some oil or butter to toast the Potato Sandwich.
- Step 6 Now spread the mixture on the bread. To make open faced sandwich, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of stuffing(optional) and place the side with the stuffing down on the skillet. And cook it on low-medium flame for couple minutes and the flip and toast on the other side.
- Step 7 For closed potato sandwich, apply mixture on one bread and close it with another bread and then you can toast it on store or you can use sandwich maker, griller or panini press.