I love eating curries. I enjoy having curry with rice or chapati. And this chickpea curry (Chana masala) is my all time favorite curry to prepare. This is also one of our family favorite curry.
Chana or chole masala is a popular vegetarian dish throughout Northern India. The core ingredient of this recipe is chickpeas or garbanzo beans. Chickpeas are vegan as well as gluten-free. Chickpeas are also great source of plant-based protein.
Chickpea Curry (Chana masala) is very healthy, nutritious, delicious and easy to make. To prepare chana/chole masala chickpeas and tomatoes are simmered with a mixture of garlic, ginger, onion and traditional Indian spices like cumin, garam masala, coriander, and turmeric. You can enjoy this chickpea curry or chana masala with rice or naan.
This Chickpea Curry (Chana masala) is quite simple and easy to prepare and you only need 30 minutes and just one pot. I usually like to cook chickpeas at home but you can also use canned chickpeas. For cooking chickpeas at home, sometimes I use Indian pressure cooker and nowadays, I am obsessed with instant pot. Its so simple and easy to cook chickpeas in instant pot. And the best part it no soaking required as well.
Chickpea Curry (Chana masala) Recipe
- 2 Cups cooked chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of grated fresh ginger
- 3-4 Garlic cloves, grated
- 1 Cup tomato puree
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala or chana masala
- ½ Teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Step 2 Cook until the onions become soft, about 5-7 minutes on low flame. You can add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.
- Step 3 When the onions have cooked, add all the spices. Cook the spices for 30 seconds and then add tomato puree.
- Step 4 Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Step 5 Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the chickpeas and water. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Step 6 Serve the chana masala with rice, naan or chapatis.