Rajma masala – Kidney beans curry is a popular dish from North India. It is one of my favorite curries to eat. This Rajma masala – Kidney beans curry is vegan as well as gluten free so everyone can enjoy it. I love to enjoy it with rice, chapati and parathas.
I make this delicious Rajma masala – Kidney beans curry quite often since it is simple and easy to make and you can make it using few simple ingredients. For kidney beans, you can used canned beans of cook your own from scratch. This is also a great curry for meal prep.
The preparation of this curry also does not take much time, if the kidney beans are already cooked then you can prepare the curry in 30 minutes. also this is a one pot dish. Below is the step-by-step presentation of the complete recipe. The step-by-step presentations makes it easy to understand all the steps involved in the recipe. And the exciting news I also have a youtube video for the recipe.
Kidney beans are great source of plant based protein, they are also high in fiber. So this delicious Rajma masala – Kidney beans curry will keep for full for long time and also its healthy for you. And this rajma masala or Kidney beans curry is super healthy as well since the recipe does not include any heavy cream or too much butter. I like to use little oil and a variety of spices and thats what gives the curry a very nice flavor.
One-pot 30 minutes Rajma masala (Kidney beans curry)
- 2 Cups of Rajma, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida(optional)
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- Small piece of ginger, grated
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 Cup tomato puree
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala or rajma masala
- ½ Teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup of water
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Step 2 Cook until the onions become soft, about 5-7 minutes on low flame. You can add a splash of water to deglaze the pan.
- Step 3 When the onions have cooked, add all the spices. Cook the spices for 30 seconds and then add tomato puree.
- Step 4 Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Step 5 Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the rajma and water. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Step 6 Serve the rajma masala with rice, naan or chapatis.