Okra Stir Fry is commonly known as Bhindi masala. Its a quick simple and easy to make Indian sabji. I love to enjoy this Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) with chapati. Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) is a great Indian comfort food. It is perfect combination of lovely vegetables and spices. This recipe is also very healthy since we are not using any heavy cream or lots of butter. Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) is also vegan and gluten free. I love to enjoy this stir fry as dinner or lunch.
To prepare Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala), first we have to rinse the okra thoroughly with water and wipe it down to dry it and then cut it into circles. While cutting the potatoes and okra for Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala), make sure to cut the potatoes little smaller compared to okra since potatoes take longer to cook. This Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) is also a great dish for school or office lunch box.
To prepare Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala), I am using two pans, one to cook the okra and potatoes and other to prepare the masala, You can definitely use one pan if you do not have two pans. First cook okra and then potato and then prepare the masala in the same pan and mix it. But if you have two pan, then it it will take less time to prepare Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala). The benefit of using two pans is that when the okra and potatoes are cooking, you can get started with preparing the masala and then masala and okra will be cooked at the same time so all you need to do is mix them and cook it for couple of minutes and delicious Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) will be ready to enjoy.
My family enjoys Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) a lot and I prepare it almost every week. This recipe is super simple and easy to make. I have used potatoes along with okra since my husband loves potato with okra but you can definitely skip if you want. Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) recipe involves using two pans. In one pan, potato and okra is cooked and in the other masala is made. You can definitely use one pan if you do not have two pans. First cook okra and then potato and then prepare the masala in the same pan and mix it. If you are also a fan of Indian recipes like me then you can find other curry recipes here – Curry recipes.
Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala)
- 1 Pound okra
- 2 Medium potato
- 1 Large onion
- 2 Medium tomatoes
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1.5 Teaspoon salt
- 1.5 Teaspoon chilli powder or paprika
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala (easily available at Indian grocery store)
- Step 1 First wash the okra, clean it using kitchen towel, pat dry it and then chop it.
- Step 2 Chop the potatoes little smaller than the okra since potato takes more time to cook compared to okra.
- Step 3 Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan. If you have non-stick pan, feel free to use it. Then add okra and potatoes.
- Step 4 Add salt and turmeric to the veggies. Toss it slightly and then cover the pan and let it cook on slow flame. It will take 15-20 minutes.
- Step 5 In the meantime, you can use second pan and start making the masala.
- Step 6 Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it pop or crackle for 30 seconds.
- Step 7 Then add finely chopped onion, followed by grated garlic. Sauté until onion is cooked for 5-7 minutes.
- Step 8 Add chopped tomatoes followed by the remaining spices. Cook the mixture for another 5-7 minutes.
- Step 9 Once okra and potatoes are cooked, mix it with the masala, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 10 Once all the vegetables are fully cooked, turn off the gas and enjoy the Okra Stir Fry (Bhindi masala) with any flat bread or rice.