This Turmeric Falafel Salad is perfect for lunch as it is packed with lots of veggies and it has falafel which are made from chickpeas and as we all know chickpeas has complex cabs, fiber and protein. You must have heard about falafel, but I gave it a twist and made turmeric falafel. Turmeric is a powerful herb that help in healing many problems.
This Turmeric Falafel Salad is consist of many components, so for my protein, I have used falafel. Falafel are made using chickpeas and as we all know Chickpeas are great source of plant-based protein. Also to make falafels healthy I have baked them instead of frying them.
For my veggies, I have used carrots, tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce. Along with veggies, I have also used quinoa. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and it contains all nine essential amino acids.
Preparing this turmeric falafel salad is simple and easy. First we prepare our falafels and while they are baking, we can prepare all our veggies. You can chop the veggies the way you like. Here I have chopped lettuce, tomato, cucumber and sliced carrots. The dressing for this falafel salad is simple lemon tahini dressing. Also I have topped this salad with raisins and Pumpkin Seeds. Raisins gives a hint of sweetness to the salad, which tastes great.
Turmeric Falafel Salad Recipe
- ½ Cup cooked quinoa
- 1 Cup chopped lettuce
- 8-10 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Medium carrot
- 1 Medium Cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- For Turmeric Falafel
- 1 Cup uncooked chickpeas, rinsed and soaked overnight
- ½ Medium onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ Cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Garlic cloves, grated
- ½ Teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Couple of tablespoons of almond meal or oats flour for binding
- ¼ Cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2 In a food processor, combine the soaked and drained chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. If you don’t have food processor, cook chickpeas first then you can mash them using fork or potato masher and then add rest of the ingredients by finely chopping them.
- Step 3 Using your hands, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties. Place each falafel on your baking sheet. If the falafel mixture is wet, you can add almond meal or oats flour for binding.
- Step 4 Bake for 10-15 minutes, then remove the falafel from the oven and carefully flip each one. Then again bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the falafels are lightly browned on both sides.
- Step 5 While falafels are baking lets prepare dressing, take a small bowl and whisk all the ingredients until well combined.
- Step 6 For assembling salad, Combine cooked quinoa with chopped lettuce. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, chop cucumber and slice the carrots.
- Step 7 In a serving plate, add quinoa and lettuce mixture along with, tomatoes, carrot and cucumber. Then add the baked turmeric falafel, pour the prepared dressing. Sprinkle some sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins and enjoy!