This is a simple and easy recipe for making homemade yogurt in instant pot. This is the basic recipe to make plain yogurt and it only requires two ingredients. You can easily make greek yogurt some this simple basic yogurt as well. For this recipe, I made the yogurt in the bowl since I have a big instant pot which is 6qt. But if you want to make large batch, you can make yogurt in the instant pot container as well.
How to make greek yogurt from this basic simple plain yogurt
You can strain the plain yogurt to make the nice and thick greek yogurt. Take a big bowl, place a strainer on top of it. Now place a muslin or cheese cloth, add the yogurt and the extra liquid which is whey will drip down and it will be collected in the bowl underneath. So after about 1-2 hours, you will get the thick and delicious greek yogurt.
Making yogurt is simple and it involves only few steps:
- Boil the milk. I boiled my milk in a pot over the stove. But you can do this using instant pot as well. Add the milk in the instant pot container, select saute function and bring the milk to boil.
- Let the milk cool till its luke warm or blood temperature. You can test this by placing finger in the milk and if you do not feel that milk is hot, then milk is ready to make yogurt
- Mix starter to make fresh batch of yogurt and place the mixture in instant pot
Now lets talk about the timing:
- I selected the yogurt mode and kept the instant pot on for 6 hours since I was making yogurt in small-medium size portion.
- If you are making yogurt in large portion, you can increase the hours and set the yogurt mode for 8 hours.
I love making yogurt in instant pot since its already have a yogurt settings. Also its good that you can make the yogurt in the instant pot in any season like rainy and winter since yogurt making needs warm temperature
Once you have the simple basic yogurt ready, you can add many flavors to it as per your liking. Fresh yogurt can be used in many recipes – like in smoothies, muffins or you can enjoy yogurt with fresh fruits or granola for breakfast.
How to make yogurt in instant pot
- 1 Liter whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon yogurt
- Step 1 Add milk to a heavy bottom sauce pan and bring the milk to boil.
- Step 2 Stir milk in between to make sure nothing sticks at the bottom.
- Step 3 Now let the milk cool till its luke warm.
- Step 4 Transfer the milk into the bowl.
- Step 5 Add yogurt, mix everything nicely and add bowl in the instant pot.
- Step 6 Close the instant pot and select the yogurt setting.