White rice is a staple in our family. I love to enjoy it with Dahl and curry. White rice is super simple and easy to make and can be prepared within 30 minutes. Cooking white rice on stove top is quite easy and comes out perfectly all the time. Just follow this simple steps.
Plain white rice can be be easily prepared within 30 minutes. Start by rinsing the rice. Rinsing the rice is important to get rid of extra starch, which results in sticky rice. Rinse under cold until water runs clear. Then soak the rice for 10-15 minutes.
To cook the white rice perfectly, water and rice ratio is very important. Use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, it yields 3 cups of cooked rice. After rice is soaked for 10 minutes, bring water to boil in a medium sauce pan and then add the drained rice and salt. Now cover the pan and cook the rice on low heat for 15 minutes.
White rice is perfect for meal prep as well. Prepare the rice during weekend and it will happily stay in the fridge for 5 days. Then you can use prepared rice with any curry or even whip up quick fried rice or pulao.
How to cook perfect White rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Step 1 Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear. Soak the rice for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 2 Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a medium sauce pan. Add salt and drained rice.
- Step 3 Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 4 Check it after 15 minutes, if all the water is evaporated then the rice is cooked.
- Step 5 Turn off the stove and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now fluff it with fork.
- Step 6 White rice is ready to enjoy.