I love eating burger, but sometimes burger patties are made by deep frying which is not very healthy. So I tried to make burger patty using chickpeas and quinoa and I baked them instead of frying. This Quinoa Chickpea Burger patties are very healthy, delicious, high in protein and fiber. Perfect for lunch or dinner. Also this happens to be vegan and gluten free. You can also add veggies of your choice to the patty.
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are a great source of plant-based protein. They are high in fiber, complex carb and protein. Chickpeas are also low in fat. Chickpeas are nutrient dense food and they keep you full for long period of time. You can find many recipes using chickpeas here – Chickpea recipes.
One important ingredient in this Quinoa Chickpea Burger is Quinoa, which is a complete plant based protein. It is a good source of protein and complex carb for people who are following vegan diet and also who are gluten-intolerant.
This Quinoa Chickpea Burger recipe is very quick and easy to make if you have cooked chickpea and quinoa ready. Then you just need to finely chop the veggies, add it to chickpea and quinoa and make the patty. For burger buns, I have used whole wheat buns but you can use buns of your choice. I choice whole wheat over regular white buns since they have more nutrients and fiber. For sauce, you can use your favorite. I usually like ketch up. Sometimes mustard and even hummus.
Quinoa Chickpea Burger Recipe
- 1 Cup cooked chickpeas
- ¼ Cup quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 6 Tablespoons warm water
- ¼ Cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Medium grated carrot
- ½ Medium onion, diced
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic grated
- ¼ Cup frozen corn
- ½ Teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Teaspoon lime juice
- 1 Teaspoon oil
- TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- Sliced tomato
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Your favorite sauce
- Step 1 Add oil to a pan and sauté onion for 5 minutes. Then add garlic, corn and grated carrot and sauté for couple more minutes.
- Step 2 In a small bowl add water water and the ground flax seeds, stir and let sit for 5 mins.
- Step 3 In a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash with a potato masher, or fork.
- Step 4 Add cooked quinoa and sautéed veggies, cilantro, flax egg and all the spices along with the lime juice.
- Step 5 Stir everything and form the mixture into burger patties. If the mixture is too wet, you can add some oats flour.
- Step 6 You can cook your burgers in oven at 375°F or 190°C for 10-15 minutes or over the stove.
- Step 7 Add oil in a sauté pan and cook patties over medium heat, 5 minutes each.
- Step 8 Serve the chickpea quinoa burgers layered with the favorite sauce, fresh veggies and enjoy!