I love curries. They are a staple in my house. I love to enjoy them for lunch and dinner with chapati, naan or rice. So today I am sharing a tasty creamy matar paneer/tofu curry. This is a very popular dish from the north part of India. To make this curry extra creamy and delicious, usually heavy cream is used but today I am sharing a recipe which does not use any heavy cream and still has that nice creamy texture and it is super delicious and tasty.
Paneer is known as indian cottage cheese, easily available in Indian super market. It is a good source of protein and it is prepared in the same way the tofu is prepared. I love the taste of paneer in this recipe but if you are following vegan diet, replace the paneer with some firm tofu to enjoy the curry.
This creamy matar paneer/tofu curry recipe is divided into two parts, first we make the tomato, onion and cashew puree and then we infuse the puree with all the lovely spices. In this recipe, we are using cashew to bring the creaminess. Cashews are good source of healthy fat and they are very healthy option compared to the heavy cream.
To prepare this creamy matar paneer/tofu curry, we start my sautéing onion, tomato and cashew and cook the mixture thoroughly. Once cooked and cooled, blend the mixture in to a smooth puree. Then we heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds and the prepared puree. We cook the puree and then add all the lovely spices. Cook the spices for just couple minutes and add green peas and paneer/tofu. Mix everything together and cook for just couple of minutes. You will notice that the gravy of this curry is super creamy and smooth from the cashew that we used.
I am using frozen green peas in the recipe, so I added the peas to bowl with some water and microwaved for one minute before adding it to the curry. This makes the peas nice and soft and they are able to absorb all the lovely flavors easily.
Paneer is a very popular in India, for every event or party, there is always a paneer dish. You can prepare many dishes and different types of curries using paneer. And you can use tofu instead in all the dishes for vegan option. I have shared a recipe of palak paneer before on my blog and here is the link – Healthy palak paneer. And if you are like me who loves curry so much, then you can find my other curry recipes here – Easy and simple curry recipes
Creamy matar paneer/tofu curry
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Small piece of ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 10-12 Cashew
- ½ Cup Green peas
- 1 Cup Paneer/Tofu
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garam masala
- ¼ Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Step 1 Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Step 2 Add grated ginger, garlic and chopped onion. Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Step 3 Add tomato, cashew and ¼ cup water.
- Step 4 Cover and cook for 10 minutes until tomatoes are cooked.
- Step 5 Cool the mixture and blend it.
- Step 6 Heat remaining oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Step 7 Now add the tomato, onion and cashew puree.
- Step 8 Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Step 9 Add all the spices. Mix everything. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Step 10 The gravy should be nice and thick.
- Step 11 Now add the paneer/tofu and green peas. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Step 12 Add about ½ cup water. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Step 13 Garnish with cilantro and enjoy.