Chickpea Veggie Pancakes (also known as besan chilla) reminds me of my childhood when my mom used to prepare this for me. These pancakes are high in plant based protein and packed with veggies.
Chickpea Veggie Pancakes are healthy, delicious, simple and easy to make and can be prepared within 30 minutes. Its perfect for to make anytime of the day and also any day of the week. These pancakes are vegan, vegetarian and gluten free so everyone can enjoy them.
To prepare these delicious Chickpea Veggie Pancakes (Besan Chilla), we need very few ingredients. The base of this pancake is chickpea flour also known as besan in India. This flour is high in plant based protein and fiber. It also happens to be low in fat. Also which chickpea flour, you need some of your favorite veggies and basic spices.
For the veggies in this Chickpea Veggie Pancakes, I am adding finely chopped onion, tomato and grated carrot. But you can add any veggies of your choice like chopped bell pepper, boil corn or even cheese. These Chickpea Veggie Pancakes (Besan Chilla) are perfect way to enjoy all the goodness of the veggies.
Chickpea Veggie Pancakes (Besan Chilla) Recipe
- 1 Cup chickpea flour
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Carrot grated
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ - ⅔ Cup water
- Step 1 In a big bowl, add chickpea flour followed by all spices.
- Step 2 Now add water and make a smooth batter.
- Step 3 First add only half cup of water and add more if required.
- Step 4 Batter should of nice thick pouring consistency.
- Step 5 Now add all the veggies and mix and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Now heat a pan on medium heat. Brush some oil.
- Step 7 Pour batter and let the pancake cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 8 Then apply some oil, flip the pancake and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Step 9 Make sure that both sides are nice and brown.