Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry is commonly known as Aloo Gobi masala. Its a quick simple and easy to make Indian sabji. I love to enjoy this Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) with chapati. Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) is a perfect Indian comfort food. It is great combination of lovely vegetables and spices. This recipe is also very healthy since we are not using any heavy cream or lots of butter. Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) is also vegan and gluten free. I love to enjoy this stir fry as dinner or lunch.
To prepare Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala), first lets start my sautéing the onion, garlic and ginger. Once they are cooked add chopped tomatoes. If you do not have fresh tomatoes on hand, tomato paste will also work fine. And once tomatoes are cooked as well, add the cauliflower and potatoes. Make sure to make the potato pieces smaller than cauliflower since potato takes longer time to cook. In this Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) recipe, i have used garam masala which is easily available in any Indian grocery store. But if you do not have garam masala, then also it will taste quite good.
My family enjoys Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) a lot and I prepare it almost every week. This recipe is super simple and easy to make. It does not involve so many steps and everything is made in one pot. It is made using very basic spices and very commonly available vegetables. But it is very tasty to eat. For this recipe, I have used red potatoes because thats what I had on hand. But use can use white or golden potatoes as well. Also I have left the potato peel on since I like the taste that way, but feel free to remove it if you do not like the potato peel. If you are also a fan of Indian recipes like me then you can find other curry recipes here – Curry recipes.
Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala)
- 2 Cups cauliflower florets
- 1 Large potato
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Large tomato
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Inch piece of ginger
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Cumin powder
- ½ Turmeric powder
- ½ Coriander powder
- 1 Teaspoon chilli powder or paprika (adjust to taste)
- ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala (easily available at Indian grocery store)
- Step 1 Heat oil in a pan. If you have non-stick pan, feel free to use it. Add cumin seeds and let it pop or crackle for 30 seconds.
- Step 2 Then add finely chopped onion, followed by grated garlic and ginger. Sauté until onion is cooked for 5-7 minutes.
- Step 3 Add chopped tomatoes followed by all the spices. Cook the mixture for another 5-7 minutes.
- Step 4 Which this is cooking, chop potatoes and cauliflower. Make sure that they are about same size so that they cook at the same time.
- Step 5 Now add the chopped potatoes and the cauliflower and couple of table spoons of water. Water will help in the cooking process.
- Step 6 Cover the pan and cook till the potatoes and cauliflower is cooked, around 15-20 minutes.
- Step 7 Once all the vegetables are fully cooked, turn off the gas and enjoy the Cauliflower and Potato Stir Fry (Aloo Gobi masala) with any flat bread or rice.